3 min read
Donald Trump has admitted his fight to stop Joe Biden from running for president after violent scenes in Washington.
On Wednesday, Trump supporters stormed the Capitol building to try to prevent Mr. Biden's election victory from being ratified, with four people confirmed dead amid the violence.
Congress finally proclaimed the Democratic challenger as the official president-elect at 3 a.m. after the National Guard sent him to take back the situation in Washington.
Shortly afterward, Trump made a statement through Dan Scavino, a White House adviser, because his own Twitter account had been suspended for 12 hours.
"Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election and the facts confirm me, there will be an orderly transition on January 20," the statement read.
“I always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted.
"While this marks the end of the best first term in presidential history, it is only the beginning of our fight to make America great again!"
It has been speculated that Trump would not participate in Mr Biden's inauguration on January 20, with reports he could fly to one of his Scottish golf resorts this week the day before the event.
But his statement suggests that after filing dozens of unsuccessful lawsuits seeking to recant the decision of the November ballot, he will no longer contest the outcome.
However, he was unable to pass the message through his own account, after social media platforms temporarily locked down Mr Trump's accounts following his initial response to the protests.
The president posted a video urging his supporters to go home, while also reiterating allegations of electoral fraud, saying "we love you".
Statement by President Donald J. Trump on Election Certification:
“Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election and the facts confirm me, there will be an orderly transition on January 20. I've always said that we …
– Dan Scavino🇺🇸🦅 (@DanScavino) January 7, 2021
In response, Twitter banned him for 12 hours and demanded that he delete a series of messages, while also threatening him with "permanent suspension" from the platform.
The Twitter Safety account wrote, “As a result of the unprecedented and ongoing violent situation in Washington DC, we have demanded the removal of three @ realDonaldTrump tweets posted earlier today for repeated and serious violations of our civil integrity policy.
“This means @realDonaldTrump's account will be locked for 12 hours after deleting these tweets. If the tweets are not deleted, the account will remain locked.
"Future violations of the Twitter Rules, including our civil integrity or violent threats policy, will result in permanent suspension of the @ realDonaldTrump account."
Meanwhile, Facebook announced that it had reviewed two "policy violations" on Mr. Trump's page and blocked him from posting for 24 hours, while YouTube had removed his video message from the site.